While you the homeowner have final say in what condition your home is when marketed, better prepping will definitely lead to a faster home sale for more money.
Home improvements are an important part of preparing to sell your house, however, you shouldn’t take out another mortgage in order to fix it up! Basic improvements in the appearance of home are always a good idea however. If there are any defects in the home or problems that may prevent a sale, they should also be repaired before listing the house.
Any problems that may be considered major will often prevent the home from being sold at all. For example, if there are leaks under the home or in buried plumbing that may not be immediately seen by a potential buyer, they should still be repaired. Coloardo has strict laws concering the disclosure of defects in a home. If problems are discovered after the sale, the financial burdens could be placed on the seller, not the purchaser of the home.
The home should be aesthetically appealing to better facilitate a rapid sale. While it may not be necessary to hire a landscaping crew to fully manicure every inch of the lawn, care should be taken that the outer appearance of the home is pleasing to the eyes. Most buyers make their decision about buying a house before they even go inside (sometimes without even knowing it!).
Similar care should be taken inside the home to make it appealing to potential home buyers as well. Clean carpets, appliances and an overall appearance of neatness will give the buyer a higher level of confidence that the home has been properly maintained and cared for. This way the buyer won’t wonder what else may be wrong with the house and dissuade them from wanting to purchase it.
The two most important factors in home preparation before selling your home are functionality and aesthetics. The home must be safe, secure and appealing if it is to be sold for top dollar in minimum time. The more appealing it is, and the more comfortable people are, the quicker it will sell…and for a much better price.
Below is a quick list of simple items you can do to drastically increase the appeal of your home:
- Fresh paint (interior and exterior – NEUTRAL colors)
- Plant new plants or properly trim existing ones
- Add colorful throw pillows to couches and beds
- Replace light switches with modern rocker switches
- Change out and update lighting fixtures
- Clear out clutter (let someone else help you with this one!)
- Remove personal belongings such as pictures and trinkets
- Make SURE your home smells appealing (candles, etc)
- Fix any minor issues like loose doors, door knobs, cabinets, etc.
- Organize rooms and closets so that areas feel open and spacious.